Welcome


Welcome to a world of poetry and soliloquoy-

A world of dogmatic digressions and serious exhortations on frivolity and grandeur.

My brain is like a circus. These are chronicles of the circus-freaks and sideshows and mysterious wonders which I carry with me on a daily basis.

I am, therefore I write.

I write, therefore I arrive.

Friday, March 5, 2010

An Electrical Surge of Emotion

I had a bit of an electrical surge of emotion last night.

It wasn't anything too overwhelming, or too sad, too depressing.
It was just enough for me to take a hot bath, and fall asleep listening to the album American Idiot by Green Day.
...........
Perhaps I should explain that last statement: when I feel the most emotional, there's one album that comforts me like none other and that's American Idiot.
I know, that doesn't make any sense.
It's not a happy album, it's not even quiet- its loud, controversial, and overwhelmingly honest... but it feels like home to me.
You see, there was a time in my life, when I felt really lost and really hopeless.
I felt abandoned by happiness.
And in that dark period of my life, there was about three key albums that were always playing: All the Right Reasons by Nickelback for when I felt angry, No Name Face by Lifehouse for when I felt sad, and American Idiot when everything else piled up and was too heavy to bear.

I can assure you, today, I don't feel anything close to that anymore.
But now, when I have bad days, they can bring back memories that are dark, and when those memories come back, Green Day blows them all away.

As I was drifting off to sleep last night, listening to the song Give Me Novacaine, a last passing thought I had was that this album was the most influential album in my life.
Green Day and I have a history.
The first rock concert I ever went to was Green Day. The first punk album I ever owned was American Idiot. Billie Joe Armstrong was the first musician crush I had. My friends nicknamed me after one of their other albums. They inspired me to learn how to play the guitar. They inspired me to start a band. They helped get me through a dark time so I could feel the light once again.
They are, without a doubt, my favorite band ever.

So as I drifted off to sleep thinking about influential albums, I've been thinking today about other albums which have inspired me.
Here's the rundown.

#1. American Idiot- Green Day...... because no matter what emotion you're feeling, the songs make you feel understood. This album has been most influential on my past.

#2. Take This To Your Grave- Fall Out Boy.......... Because bitterness is a valid human emotion, which I believe is discriminated against, and this album is a healthy expression and release of those feelings. This album has been most influential on my writing.

#3. Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge- My Chemical Romance....... Because there is no other album with so much depth, art, passion, story-telling and hope. People do not understand the blatant hope that is evident in this album. This album has been most influential on my attitude and also on my lyric-writing.

Those are my top three.
There's tons and tons of other albums which have inspired me, ranging from artists like The Beatles, to Michael Jackson, to The Used, to McFly, to Oasis to The Decemberists and Sarah McLachlan....

None of the others come close to the emotional ties I have with those three albums, though.
I have a history with each one of those albums.
They've played a part in shaping me to be who I am today.
If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't love music the way I do, and I probably wouldn't be in a band or play music at all.
If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have been inspired to become a better writer.
If it wasn't for the musicians that wrote those albums, I wouldn't have a deep understanding for people, and I wouldn't have this desire to help others who are in need.

They've helped me grow up, and have given me some of the best memories and associations I could ask for.

So yes, those are the thoughts that are running through my head today.
Funny thing: as I write this blog, I'm listening to the Counting Crows. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment