Welcome


Welcome to a world of poetry and soliloquoy-

A world of dogmatic digressions and serious exhortations on frivolity and grandeur.

My brain is like a circus. These are chronicles of the circus-freaks and sideshows and mysterious wonders which I carry with me on a daily basis.

I am, therefore I write.

I write, therefore I arrive.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Stickies

I have three quotes on my fridge. Three iconic emblems spoken by three different feminine angels of talent and humanity.

Ever since December, I've been putting quotes on my fridge rather religiously. I rotate them based on an internal clock that rings the alarm whenever the time has come to change them. I can't tell you how often I rotate them, there's no set schedule. Some stay on the fridge longer than others. All I know is that suddenly, I'll walk past them and the alarm will go off. I take them down and spend a few moments deciding which new ones to put up.

The last ones I had were for St. Patty's day.
A poem, a blessing, a quote.

These new ones are based somewhat on my current reading agenda, and also on a few of the thoughts that have been running through my head the past few weeks. Probably ever since Lent started.

These quotes that I've been putting on my fridge make me happy. I don't know why. it's a secret little thrill I get inside everytime I open the fridge door and the words fly into my face. A little tickle in my brain. A loving, little nudge in a new direction. A little whisper of peacefulness.

Perhaps the greatest part, however, is noticing the effect they have on others. Sticky quotes have a marvelously captivating presence about them. Individuals can't walk into the kitchen without taking a side glance at them on the shiny black exterior of the refridgerator. And then they can't help pausing to stand and read them all, letting them soak in to their cognitive processing. There's always a little bit of a flutter when I put new ones up. Sometimes I don't say anything, instead I watch and wait for everyone to notice the subtle change of pattern and color in front of them. Sometimes I announce, "New quotes on the fridge!" To which I usually recieve the reply of someone getting up from their chair and traveling into the kitchen to benefit from a different sort of bodily nutrition, of food for thought.
There might be a discussion afterwards.
There might be a confused frown.
A laughing smile.
I never know what reaction I will get from these notes.

A lot of times they have a theme, even though I never mean for them to. Sometimes there's three or four quotes on determination, and inspiration. Sometimes, they're about finding peace and proclaim a gentle reassurance.
The ones I've just put up a few moments ago were all uttered by female intuition. I guess that's the theme for this rotation.

Two of the quotes I discovered through my reading, the last, I researched specifically.

"Beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there." -Annie Dillard, from her Walden, "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek."

"I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting inbetween." -Sylvia Plath, from her posthumously published diaries, "The Journals of Sylvia Plath."

"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."- Mother Teresa

I guess my secret desire with these quotes is that someday, somebody will respond to them. Someone will take the time to find their own favorite quote and stick it right up there, right next to mine. Giving me some unforeseen food for thought. A new sticky quote on the fridge friend.

Wouldn't that just be the cat's pajamas?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe we should start a Sticky Note Group on FB.

    I love the one by Mother Teresa. It's a very hopeful statement. Thanks for the intriguing post!


    http://wilsonftw.blogspot.com/
    My blog

    ReplyDelete