Welcome


Welcome to a world of poetry and soliloquoy-

A world of dogmatic digressions and serious exhortations on frivolity and grandeur.

My brain is like a circus. These are chronicles of the circus-freaks and sideshows and mysterious wonders which I carry with me on a daily basis.

I am, therefore I write.

I write, therefore I arrive.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Work Stories

The decision has been made at work that we're required to dress up tomorrow night, in honor of it being the Saturday-Before-Halloween.  Apparently we're all going to be pirates.  Needless to say, I'm not exactly thrilled about donning a scarf and boots just to seat people so they can eat their pizza and laugh at us, but whatever.  I get that we're just trying to spread some cheer.  Or something.

A few of us were talking about it last night, and trying to figure out how on earth to dress up without actually having to dress up, when I jokingly told my coworker that he should put a fake parrot on his shoulder.  This led him to confess that at one time in his life, he owned 72 birds.  Among which were 5 cockateels and 1 parrot.

72 birds.

As the evening wore on, and conversations had run amok as they usually do, it had been unofficially decided we were switching from pirates to hippies.  Unofficial meaning by the time I left, everyone was so muddled and unsure, that the term "Hippy Pirate" was coined to describe our costume guidelines.  I guess I'll find out tonight exactly what that means.


I was busing one of the booths last night and I couldn't help but overhear a phrase uttered by a customer in the adjoining booth.  "I didn't get your inside joke to Darci."  A thousand questions immediately poured into my thoughts.  I carefully observed the situation.  A wife, a husband, and their tweenage daughter. Judging by the length of time it took for the husband to respond to his wife's unsettling question, I jumped to the ultimate conclusion that he was having a lurid affair.

Who else could Darci be?  Maybe Darci was a coworker.  An old flame.  An old friend who was really much more than that.  Where had they been that the wife was in the same surroundings as Darci?  A work party?  A soccer game?  Was Darci the babysitter?

I looked for a moment at the young girl's face.  I looked away and left the table shiny and wet behind me.




No comments:

Post a Comment