Welcome


Welcome to a world of poetry and soliloquoy-

A world of dogmatic digressions and serious exhortations on frivolity and grandeur.

My brain is like a circus. These are chronicles of the circus-freaks and sideshows and mysterious wonders which I carry with me on a daily basis.

I am, therefore I write.

I write, therefore I arrive.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Art of Choosing Bogarts

Well, Halloween is over.  As of five minutes ago, it's now officially All Saint's Day.

I wish I knew a saint to tell you about, but unfortunately, I have no saint-age in my religious background.  Except for the obvious ones like Saint Mary.  And Paul.  Does Jesus count?

I just finished watching Graveyard Shift and have developed an entirely new fear of rats.  Well, okay, that's not true.  It was a fear I already had, due to that one awful scene in 2 Fast 2 Furious with the rat and the bucket and the torch, but it kind of intensified just now.  A lot.

The rats weren't the scariest part, though.  And neither was the gross bat-pig-rat-like creature of the deep that fed on unknowing and injured cotton mill workers (although, I must admit, creatures from the deep are never scary, in my opinion). The scariest part of the movie was watching everyone go crazy with fear.

I realized that the power of fear is more terrifying than anything else.

Everytime I watch a Stephen King movie, I go through this thing where I sit for awhile and ponder just how I plan on going crazy in my old age, whether it's from the power of fear, or not.  Like after I watched The Shining for the first time.  I had to completely rethink my life and the likelihood of a normal, healthy aging process.

There's so many types of crazy, you know?  Don't you ever wonder what mental illness you're prone to?

I do.  All the time.

I mean, honestly.  I could go bi-polar.  I could start seeing things.  I could hear voices.  I could develop a complex.  I could start murdering people in cold blood.  I could start hoarding, or develop OCD.

I could do all of those things, realistically, but I think the only valid and probable mental incongruency I would develop would be multiple personality disorder.

In fact, I know I would.

All writers have some form of multiple personality disorder, in my opinion.  It goes unnoticed, however, because we're actively expressing the disorder through the development of characters and plotlines.  It's not locked inside our minds.  Our illness is alive in our words.

And I'm okay with the idea of developing multiple personalities.

I'd rather do that, than start hearing voices.  Or seeing things. Or feeling bugs crawling underneath my skin nonstop.  At least with MPD you aren't conscious of what's going on when the "alters" are in control.  You can't hear them whispering things in your ear.  You just become them for awhile.

Things like these fascinate me.  I'm alternately terrified and enthralled by the world of the psychologically insane.

So are a few of my friends, which is absolutely wonderful, because then we get to have the most stimulating and controversial discussions ever.  Like last week, we discussed the sanity of serial killers and whether or not they're inexplicably cruel animals or intellectually unsurpassed geniuses.

All this to say: I'm too keyed up to sleep.  But not because I'm terrified to move from this spot on the couch, just because I'm all thoughtful and contemplative now.

Although, because it was Halloween, there's a lot of updates about Paranormal Activity 3 in my various minifeeds, and I'm trying not to remember the time I decided it would be a good idea to watch the first one all by myself late at night.

Because let's be honest, here, folks:  I still have nightmares about that movie.  Give me ghost stories, vampires, campy werewolf monster horror, zombies, psycho thrillers, aliens, even killer clowns, and I'll be fine.  But when you throw demons, exorcisms, hauntings and paranormal entities into the mix:  I am the biggest basket case on the planet.  Nothing terrifies me more.  Well, I also deeply dislike cannibalism.  But that's more irrational than anything else.

So, don't ask me why I watched it in the first place, because I really can't tell you why.

And now that I've started thinking about it, I am a little bit terrified to go to bed.

I need a man, you know?

But let's not go down that road, either.  That might be the most terrifying road of all.

Regardless of what I'm afraid of,  it's been a fine Halloween this year, and even though it doesn't really bother me, I am still glad it's over.  The Holiday Season can officially begin. 54 sleeps 'til Christmas!

Yeow.

Sweet dreams, lovers.

XOXO and Chocolate Chips to boot,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment