Welcome


Welcome to a world of poetry and soliloquoy-

A world of dogmatic digressions and serious exhortations on frivolity and grandeur.

My brain is like a circus. These are chronicles of the circus-freaks and sideshows and mysterious wonders which I carry with me on a daily basis.

I am, therefore I write.

I write, therefore I arrive.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

And Mary Said

Quiet time, finally.

Today has been emotional, as Christmas Eves are wont to be every now and then.

Everyone else is asleep in their beds, the world is quiet.  Cinnamon rolls are prepped in the fridge, all the remaining presents and stockings have been wrapped and stuffed.  Burning low in the window is one white candle, guiding Mary in her journey tonight as she searches for shelter to deliver Jesus unto the world.

"Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God."

This Christmas Eve I sit with my Bible on my lap, and my eyes wander to the rose-scented Rosary on my bookshelf.  Tonight,  I reflect on Mary.

I reflect on the girl she appeared as.
The woman no one knew her to be.
The fervent servant of God.
The one who found favor with the Lord of Heaven.

I'm sorry to say I've never thought much about Joseph or Mary when it comes to be Christmastime, and that's okay, because the focus should be on the birth of Jesus.  Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace toward Men.

Tonight, however, I was struck by the words, "You have found favor with God," at the reading of Luke during a candlelit Christmas Eve service.

Oh,  that I could find that sort of reverent favor with God.

My study Bible has a few things to say about Mary's character:

"Mary is the recipient of God's grace."

"Mary exhibits true discipleship: submission to God's word and promise."

"Mary is blessed for her faith, but she is most blessed for the privilege of bearing the Son of God."

"Mary's entire being is caught up in praise to God."

"Mary herself is not free from sin, but is in need of a savior."

My favorite reference to Mary is found in Luke 2:19,  after the shepherds share what they have been told by Gabriel's host of angels.  "But Mary treasured up all these things,  pondering them in her heart."

My prayer tonight, and from now on,  is that God will open my heart to the strength of faith that Mary had.

That I would be good,  and full of faith,  and God-given grace.  That I would be strong, and unwavering in my trust of the Lord.  Humble and obedient, that I too will find favor with the Lord this blessed Christmas season.

"Blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord." -Luke 1:45

"And Mary said:
My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
For He has looked on the humble estate of His servant.
For behold from now on, all generations will call me blessed,
For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and Holy is His name.
And His mercy is for those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate;
He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent away empty.
He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy,
as He spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and his offspring forever."

Amen and Amen,

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment