Welcome


Welcome to a world of poetry and soliloquoy-

A world of dogmatic digressions and serious exhortations on frivolity and grandeur.

My brain is like a circus. These are chronicles of the circus-freaks and sideshows and mysterious wonders which I carry with me on a daily basis.

I am, therefore I write.

I write, therefore I arrive.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

"So this is Christmas..."

December 23rd. 2 days until Christmas.

4:14 PM. The sky is gradually beginning to darken, my room is aglow with the half-light of day and the bright flame of several burning candles. One of the candles has a wooden wick, and makes a most delightful crackling noise, melting gloriously with the soft blues guitar riffs of Chris Isaak and John Mayer playing from my iPod speaker.

All around, life is buzzing. Thoughts, memories, occurances from past Christmases are swirling around in my head, and I can't help but wish strongly that it was snowing outside. I've gotten almost all my presents wrapped, stockings are done, cinnamon rolls are half-made for Christmas morning, and the traditions of Christmases gone by and Christmases to come are rolling in and out of my mind like the tide.

I think of when I was much, much younger, and how every year the lighting of the Christmas lights outside the house was a big to-do. There was always music playing outdoors while Bryon (my not-yet-then-brother-in-law) scampered dangerously along the roofline, stringing lights. Johnny Mathis' Christmas was crooning, mom was inside brewing hot cocoa, dad was running to and from exchanging ladders, and my sisters and I stood outside in our pajamas, laughing, watching, and half-listening for any sign of Bryon slipping and falling. Then, after what seemed like hours, and what probably was hours, Bryon would call out and suddenly the entire house would alight at once. Beautiful white icicle lights hanging from every gable and gutter, and strung gloriously around the rails of the wraparound porch.

I think of how there was a rather long period of time during every Christmas season, we would drive to Tower Records when it was still in business and buy 100 dollars worth of new music. Our blessed Christmas bonus. :)
Those were the best days.

I remember countless times of visiting the Grotto, and saying a prayer before the lifesize Nativity Scene.

I remember Christmas Eves spent at my grandmother's, and then finished at home as we each got to pick one present to unwrap before bed.
Christmas mornings rise up in my mind with memories of waking up astoundingly early, even though I didn't dream of opening my stocking without my sisters. Gathered in the living room with milk and cinnamon rolls, the stocking opening would commence. The best part of Christmas, altogether.
Then we'd move to the family room, where the tree and the rest of the presents were- after breakfast of course.

I remember what seems like hundreds of times rolling out, cutting out, and decorating gingerbread cookies with my family. One year, my sisters and I decorated an entire beach scene. There was an ocean, a shade tent, several gingerbread men and women in swimtrunks and bikinis, a sea turtle, and a sun. The picture of it is hanging on my bedroom wall. I must have been only 9. It's one of the greatest pictures of the three of us girls we have. Memories. :)

Not to mention the many viewings of White Christmas with my sisters. One tradition that will be carried on in my life eternally. Alone or not.

I'm dreaming of Christmases to come, and new traditions I'd like to make.
My friend Natalie Knight and I went to Peacock Lane this year. It was beautiful, and I think we should start doing it every year together.
As I plan on living near the ocean for the rest of my life, and possessing a lifelong dream of surfing, I want to be that crazy individual who goes for a Christmas morning surf no matter how cold it is. I would especially like to start this tradition in Ireland.
A few nights ago, I came across a beautiful Irish tradition that I plan on starting tomorrow night. Every Christmas Eve, it is traditional to light a candle in the window, to help guide Mary in her search for a place of refuge to give birth to Jesus.
This year I also started a tradition with Becca of watching the Celtic Thunder Christmas dvd and getting so much love and laughter out of it.

I'm so excited to embark on my life and future with new and old traditions and people as well.

I can't believe Christmas is here already.
Tomorrow morning, Family coffee date.
Tomorrow afternoon, writing with Raelyn.
Tomorrow evening, work.
After work, candle lighting, and watching The Nativity with mom and dad.
And then waking up on Christmas morning, to fresh cinnamon rolls and coffee. Eggs in purgatory (Poached eggs in marinara with italian sausage and rosemary toast), stockings, and presents, and spending the rest of the day celebrating Christ's birth with my beloved family.

And so, this is Christmas.

Happy Holidays. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment