Welcome


Welcome to a world of poetry and soliloquoy-

A world of dogmatic digressions and serious exhortations on frivolity and grandeur.

My brain is like a circus. These are chronicles of the circus-freaks and sideshows and mysterious wonders which I carry with me on a daily basis.

I am, therefore I write.

I write, therefore I arrive.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Letter to Juliet

I just watched the movie Letters to Juliet for the first time. Gotta say, I really wasn't that impressed. It was too easy to predict what would happen and the characters were badly developed. I was disappointed, because I love the idea of the plot, though. Or at least the bit about writing letters to Juliet.
People really do that! I just googled it.
I think it's fantastic....
Granted, I never really liked Romeo and Juliet, but the romance involved in the idea of writing a letter to Love's most famous female and receiving a reply is, admittedly, too tempting to refuse.
I guess it really doesn't even have anything to do with being a romantic. Forget the entire Juliet part. People could be writing letters to Katherine of Aragon or St. Isabel of Castillo for all I care. It's just the idea that people have enough faith to believe they can tell someone long dead their stories, whatever they involve, and that there's a team of people who care enough about the world to take the time to respond to every single letter. I think it shows just how wonderful humanity can be.
Yes, we are a sinful people, and yes, we are a fallen world.
But God has given us enough grace, and an innumerable amount of chances, to try and redeem our faults. And when I hear a story like that, the story of writing letters to Juliet and undoubtedly receiving a response from one of her faithful secretaries, I realize that there is some good left in the world.
There are still people out there trying to make the most of the second, third, fourth, etc. chances that God has bestowed upon us. These secretaries of Juliet are angels. They're giving people who don't feel like they have anyone to talk to the chance to be heard and comforted. Validated. Received. Accepted.
What a beautiful way to use the gift of words, and the gift of understanding.
Someday, in my wild abandon and farfetched travels, I will make a pilgrimage to fair Verona, and spend the afternoon in the courtyard of the Casa di Giulietta. I will write my own letter, tape it to the wall, and hope wildly that the reply will come soon.
And when it does, I'll give thanks to God for the beautiful world we live in, and for the chance to be a part of something so beautiful and so precious.




No comments:

Post a Comment